The Lark on the Strand
The Lark on the Strand – Sesoaimhín Ní Bheaglaíoch (songs), Charlie Piggott (accordion), Gerry Harrington (fiddle), Peter Browne (pipes).
“In January 2000, singer Seosaimhín Ní Bheaglaíoch and three musicians Charlie Piggott (accordion), Gerry Harrington (fiddle) and Peter Browne (uilleann pipes) undertook a musical tour of Ireland. It was organised by Music Network and there were twelve concerts – in Dublin, Manorhamilton, Wexford, Tullaroan, Cork, Portmagee, Listowel, Ashbourne, Carrickallen, Mullingar, Clifden and Buncrana. A later short tour visited Armagh, Portaferry, Cushendall and Belfast. Many enjoyable miles were covered with no shortage of good company, music and song along the way.
The tour concert on the night of Friday 21st of January 2000 took place in Gaelscoil na Cille in Ashbourne, Co. Meath – organised by Cultúrlann na Cille – and a recording was made which was kept but gradually forgotten over a twenty-year period. It surfaced again through a chance discovery, lying in a cardboard box in an attic during the pandemic lockdown period of 2020 and it was a fortunate find! The music and song sounded fresh and had much of the spirit and spontaneity that can often accompany a live onstage occasion.
After listening, everyone agreed that the performances, choice of material, playing togetherness, recording quality and an overall feeling of an enjoyable atmosphere, had stood up very well and would have appeal if brought to a wider audience of traditional music followers.
There is plenty of variety here – nineteen tracks in all – with songs in Irish and English, trios, duets and solos playing reels, double jigs, slip jigs, hornpipes, polkas, slides, marches, slow airs and a set dance. The four performers are all recognised for their own individual careers and achievements in music, and they came together and blended very well on this unique night in Ashbourne. The sounds of voice, accordion, fiddle and pipes express much of what is best at the heart of the Irish music tradition.
Measaimid go bhfuil ceol agus amhránaíocht den scoth le cloisteáil anseo agus tá súil againn go mbainfear pléisiúir as éisteacht leis.”
- Reels: The Colliers/ Jenny Picking Cockles
- Song: Éamonn Mágáine
- Jigs: The Wandering Minstrel/ The Maid In The Meadow
- Marches: The Battle Of Aughrim/ Boney Crossing The Alps
- Slow Air: The Wounded Hussar
- Hornpipes: The Blackbird/The Stack Of Barley
- Polkas: As I Went Out Upon The Ice/The Ballydesmond Polkas
- Jigs: Old Man Dillon/The Lark On The Strand
- Song: Amhrán na Leabhar
- Jigs: Páidín Ó Raifeartaigh/ Darby The Driver
- Reels: Sergeant Early’s Dream/Never Was Piping So Gay/Johnny McGreevey’s
- Set Dance: The Garden Of Daisies
- Slide: Tom Billy’s Favourite/ When Pat Came Over the Hill
- Reels: The Fox On The Prowl/ The Holly Bush
- Air & Jig: Caisleán Uí Néill/ Winnie Hayes’
- Reels: The Mountain Lark/ The Clogher
- Song: The Bonny Blue Eyed Lassie
- Slip Jigs: Máire Rua/ Hardiman The Fiddler
- Reels: Jenny’s Wedding/ Toss The Feathers