Brian McNamara – Portrait of a Piper
Portrait of a Piper, the latest recording of Brian McNamara of Leitrim presents seventy minutes of solo uilleann piping featuring two sets of pipes. The ‘concert-pitched’ set of pipes was made in 2001 by Benedict Koehler and David Quinn, in Vermont, USA. The ‘flat’ set is pitched in ‘C’ and was made by Geoff Wooff in 1997. On this recording, Brian playa a chanter pitched in ‘C’ with the Wooff set which was made in 2016 by Benedict Koehler.
“McNamara’s music is exquisite – brilliant – extremely compelling – outstanding.
Really, you can’t ask for anything more – a superb album of solo piping.
a first-class player – one of the finest pipers of today.
an engaging and quite beautiful album of solo piping.
should stir the hearts of anyone who loves uilleann piping or traditional Irish music”
Daniel Neely, Irish Echo, NY, 7th January 2023
1) Piece: The Fox Chase (7:29)
2) Waltz / Slip Jig: Waltz Mary Ellen / Trotting to Larne (4:39)
3) Harp Air / Reels: Catherine Ogie / The Beauty Spot / The Top of the Cliff (4:59)
4) Jigs: John Lydon’s / Fraher’s / Garrett Barry’s (3:45)
5) Piece: Cath Chnoc na nOs (6:10)
6) Reels: The Boy in the Gap /The Ravelled hank of Yarn (3:03)
7) Air / Reel: Cuimhne an Phíobaire / The Quiet House (4:49)
8) Piece: The Wild Geese (5:10)
9) Jigs: The Piper’s Picnic / Down the back lane / Mama’s Pet (3:49)
10) Air / Jig: An Paistín Fionn (3:10)
11) Barndance / Hornpipe: The Earl of Thomond / The Fisher’s (3:29)
12) Air: Port na bPúcaí (4:22)
13) March /Jig: The Deer’s March /An Buachaill Dreoite (4:05)
14) Air / Piece: Síle Ní Ghadhra (5:57)
15) Air: Caoineadh Uí Néill (4:52)