- Legendary Irish fiddle player Paddy Glackin joins Farmleigh Composer-in-Residence Dave Flynn and poet Moya Cannon to celebrate the craft of Irish tune-makers.
- While Paddy’s art is essentially that of a soloist, he has been involved in a range of groups and performances, which demonstrate his willingness to experiment in placing “authentic” traditional music in new and often quite alien contexts. The original fiddle player with the Bothy Band, Glackin’s fiddling can also be heard on recordings by Van Morrison, Kate Bush and John Cage.
- Glackin continues to explore new territory in this, his first performance with Flynn. They will focus exclusively on the music of 20th/21st Century Irish tune composers including Paddy Fahey, Liz Carroll and Ed Reavy.
- Flynn will also perform solo selections from his acclaimed album Contemporary Traditional Irish Guitar.
- Between the jigs, reels and airs, renowned Donegal poet Moya Cannon recites some of her intricate music-themed poems. Moya Cannon has six published collections, the most recent being Donegal Tarantella. She has given many readings with musicians and singers, among them the harper Kathleen Loughnane, the traditional singers Maıghréad and Tríona Ní Dhomhnaıll and the RTE Con Tempo String Quartet. She has been honoured with the Brendan Behan Award and the O’Shaughnessy Award and she was Heimbold Professor of Irish Studies at Villanova University in 2011.
- Click here for tickets
- This event has passed.
Between the Jigs and the Reels with Paddy Glackin, Moya Cannon and Dave Flynn
November 29, 2019 @ 8:00 pm - 11:59 pm